Today Tasmania’s wine industry is showcasing its true potential, producing multi award winning wines and setting benchmarks for premium wine production in Australia. Be introduced to 5 of southern Tasmania’s best wine experiences on our full day wine tour. $169pp.
The current Tasmanian wine industry produces a very small amount (only 0.4%) of Australia’s annual production, but a healthy 10% of Australia’s premium and super premium quality wines. One third of all Tasmanian wine bottled is sparkling wine made in the traditional Méthode Champenoise. Pinot noir is the main grape variety in Tasmania making up about 44% of total plantings of our 1800 hectares.
Our FULL DAY WINE TOUR will introduce you to some of Tasmania’s most interesting and invigorating wines. We will have the opportunity to meet some of the producers and growers, walk through the vineyards, learn about why Tasmania’s cool-climate wines are heralded internationally as some of the world’s best. And of course we will sample numerous varieties from new-world sparkling’s to old-world pinot’s and a swathe of styles in between.
“Thanks, Patrick, for our perfect Tassie wine experience. Enjoyed all the wines, the service, the ambience, the other tour group members, the lunch. Patrick was highly informed about the wines and the local area. A relaxed, un-rushed, delightful day. Highly recommend.” Judi from Melbourne, via TripAdvisor.
Wineries and cellar-doors we visit include – FROGMORE CREEK / PUDDLEDUCK VINEYARD / DOMAINE A / STEFANO LUBIANA / POOLEY WINES / COAL VALLEY VINEYARD / MOORILLA ESTATE / / GLAETZER-DIXON FAMILY WINES & MORE.
TOUR INCLUSIONS: Tea/coffee and pastries on arrival / visit 5 Tasmanian wineries / Full tour and wine tastings with winery staff / approx 4-6+ tastings at each winery, including grapes from the vine or tastings direct from the tanks where available, season dependent / meet the makers / industry-led tour guide / travel in air-conditioned van / bottle purchases available on the day. All wine tastings included, complimentary glass of wine with lunch. *Lunch to be purchased on the day approx $20-$25.
We will visit 5 of the below wineries:
After meeting your guide at the base of the ramp at Brooke Street Pier, we begin the day with a complimentary tea/coffee from one of Hobart’s finest barista’s at The Larder over introductions with pastries. We’ll discuss Hobart’s infamous history dating back to 1803 and the role that alcohol played during settlement before having the opportunity to try our first wines of the day.
1. Moorilla Winery – Our first stop of the day takes us to Moorilla Estate, home to MONA (Museum of Old and New Art) and to southern Tasmania’s original vineyard, dating back to 1958. Established by Claudio Alcorso, Moorilla set a new precedent for Tasmania wine production, proving that riesling and pinot noir vines could indeed thrive in cool-climate conditions. We will tour the vineyard and David Walsh’s contemporary $6 million dollar winery before tasting a vast selection of wines, including the opportunity to taste and purchase their exclusive Cloth Label series.
2. Puddleduck Winery – One of our favourite boutique wineries in the Coal Valley is Puddleduck Winery which makes so few bottles per year, that they only sell it on their own premises. Reserved specifically for cellar-door sales, functions and tastings, this selection of 5 wines in paired with individual Tasmanian cheese platters, that make this wine tasting experience exceptional. Also there is a duck called Lucky, he is the mascot of the property and is quiet infamous for being photographed with guests.
3. Coal Valley Vineyard – On arrival we’ll meet Canadian winemaker Todd, who is doing some fabulous things with cool climate grape varietals. We’ll engage in a tasting of Todd’s wines while deciding on the lunch menu from local regional produce. A complimentary glass of your favourite wine will be served with lunch, while taking in one of the best views of the valley. A post-lunch walk through the vineyard may well be in order, careful to mind the guinea fowl!
*Please note lunch is not included in this tour price, but the kitchen offerings are wide and varied, showcasing the valley’s produce and is priced to suit all budgets.
4. Frogmore Creek – Depending on the time of the year and if the grapes are in season, we will take a close look at their vines, and perhaps taste some fruit before heading inside to the cellar door. Frogmore Creek’s friendly staff will take us through a full wine tasting, starting with their sparkling and moving through to their renowned pinot noir’s and concluding with iced riesling!
5. Domaine A – The best of old world European wine making right here in Tasmania. Domaine A has built an international reputation that impresses some of the harshest wine critics anywhere in the world. A visit to the barrel-room crypt is memorable enough, but just wait till you sample the wines! (Mon – Fri tours).
6. Pooley Winery – Renowned for riesling and pinot noir, this winemaking family will ensure you sample some of what Tasmania does best, you really can’t go past Pooley wines when it comes to cool-climate winemaking.
7. Glaetzer-Dixon Family Wines – Nick Glaetzer comes from wine family royalty in South Australia’s Barrossa Valley, but he made the move to Tasmania to work with some of the finest cool-climate grapes in the country and the results are highly-rewarding. Tasting his wines in this neon-cave dwelling just outside the city is often one of the highlights of the tour and a perfect way to conclude our day.
8. Stefano Lubiana – On occasion we will visit Stefano Lubiana Winery. Renowned as one of Tasmania’s finest wine producers, Stefano Lubiana Winery was established in 1990, as a boutique family-owned and operated company that pioneered Tasmania’s first and only certified biodynamic vineyard.
The tour will conclude back in Hobart at the Lark Cellar Door where you’ll have the opportunity to join any after tour drinks with the team and hear about the best places to dine and drink in Southern Tasmania.
When: Every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Check the calendar for upcoming available dates. Approximately 8 hours.
What to bring: Please dress appropriately for the occasion, while it may appear warm in Hobart, the weather can change throughout the day, so please ensure to bring warm clothes, comfortable shoes and your camera!
Please note, while this is our usual itinerary, the venues may change slightly due to industry operations and depending on availabilities. Visits to Home Hill can be arranged for Private Tours or as part of our Signature Tours. Start times are fixed, however end of tour times can change slightly depending upon traffic and other factors.